Friday, May 1, 2015

Colorful Ombre

Fairly recently I discovered the vast online crochet community, and I signed myself up for a couple of CALs (crochet-a-longs).  I joined the Sophie's Universe CAL (Look at What I Made) a bit late, but it's been a very rewarding experience.  I took some time to browse through the projects on Ravelry, seeing what colors others had chosen to use for the CAL.  One thing stood out to me, every color combination looked good.  I knew I could join this CAL and not be afraid to put my own color take on it.

A few weeks ago, while looking for an update on Sophie's Universe, I learned of the Deramores Blog Competition.  Six designers have predicted crochet trends and I'm here blogging my support for one of these trends: colorful ombre.  I realized that my color progression choice for Sophie was to work with two shades of color separated by a white-yellow shading.  Here's my work in progress:

Sophie's Mandala
I began with shades of purple, then teal petals, and as I continued working the circle, I added in shades of pink and blue.

Growing Outward
I reversed the light-to-dark trend from the mandala and began adding the colors with the darkest shade as I grew outward from Sophie's Garden.  You can see the teal and blue in the following photos.  I'll have shades of purple and then shades of pink in rows to come.



Rainbow Ombre
I like how the Sophie's Universe pattern has brought more life and detail into my color changes.  Having front post stitches worked into prior rows can help make a more graduated effect (the pink in the mandala), or helps the color changes pop (the last rows worked in blue and yellow).  It's exciting to see so much detail in a pattern and I find it's hard to put down my hook!
 
This post is my submission to the Deramores Craft Blog Competition 2015. Deramores is the UK’s number one online retailer of knitting and crochet supplies. Visit www.deramores.com for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment