Thursday, May 7, 2015

Large Motifs

Derdi Uys from Look at What I Made predicts that Large Squares, or motifs, with a gazillion colors will be trendy in 2015.  I'm here blogging to support that prediction.  I had planned to make a butterfly mandala after I completed my first square, and when I read about the Deramores Blog Competition, and saw that the fabulous designer of Sophie's Universe (it's 60-75% the source of my inspiration currently) predicted a trend... I just had to show my support. 

Dedri said that crochet motifs will become more colorful and more like works of art.  Knowing how beautiful Sophie's Universe is, and how popular, I believe many crochet artists will step up with new patterns and creations of their work.  Here's my contribution:

I designed (and will soon release the pattern for) a mandala that has 240 stitches in the last row - the perfect number to place the mandala inside Sophie's Garden (or part 4 of the Sophie's Universe CAL).  I chose to use Dedri's pattern to grow my mandala because I've never seen a more beautiful (and artistic!) way to square a circle.  My square is between 28-29" wide on each side,  depending on how much I stretch it.  A few of these squares would make a good sized afghan, or adding smaller squares around the outside, or a larger border, would make a great baby blanket size.  I think large squares will be trendy in 2015 because they can provide so much interest, can offer a lot of texture and detail and you only have to make 6 to have a good-sized afghan.


This post is my submission to the Deramores Craft Blog Competition 2015. Deramores is the UK’s number one online retailer of knitting and crochet supplies. Visit www.deramores.com for more details.

4 comments:

  1. This makes me think of purple and yellow violas! Mandalas aren't yet on my hook, they are too intricate at the moment, but yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous design. I love the wiggly "legs" coming from the centre, the colours are good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "legs" are the heart of the design - I really wanted something that could pop and be abstract. In addition, they have given this pattern many nicknames in our household. I started with 'octo-flower' and 'jellyfish.' My husband called it 'Medusa' and 'the tentacled alien that's eating a butterfly.'

      Thank you, Jane, I'm so glad you like it!

      Delete