Thursday, May 7, 2015

Rainbow Colors

Rainbows have a special place in all our hearts.  We have the iconic Wizard of Oz, we watched as children where "somewhere over the rainbow, dreams really do come true."  We have the legend of the Leprechauns and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And, of course, there's the fact that rainbows occur in nature when it's raining.  One of the most spectacular rainbows I ever saw occurred just before sunset, as the rain was lightening up.  The clouds dispersed at the western horizon, and all that golden sunlight was broken up into all the colors of the visible light spectrum in a magnificent reflected arch across the whole sky.  Yup, a clear, bright, double rainbow!

Rainbows bring joy, peace, awe, and hope.  They are the light at the end of a dark storm, like a load being lifted from your shoulders.  It's no wonder that people want to make rainbows.  I've seen so many rainbow patterns since I picked up my hook more earnestly in November, that I have to support Heather Leal's predicted trend for 2015: rainbow colors. 

I went over to a friend's house last weekend.  She had just acquired a couple of afghans her grandmother had made.  One of these afghans was quite colorful... not exactly a rainbow... but from the moment I saw it, I knew it would make the perfect rainbow afghan project.  One side was striped and the other side was checkered - a reversible afghan!  Here's a swatch I made to test out how the pattern might look:
The checkered side



The striped side

Texture of the striped side

Reversible!

There!  A little bit of rainbow joy to brighten your day!



This post is my submission to the Deramores Craft Blog Competition 2015. Deramores is the UK’s number one online retailer of knitting and crochet supplies. Visit www.deramores.com for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment